THE SOUTHEAST ASIA REGIONAL CENTRE FOR COUNTER-TERRORISM (SEARCCT)
The Southeast Asia Regional Centre for Counter-Terrorism (SEARCCT) was officially launched on 1 July 2003 by the then Minister of Foreign Affairs, Malaysia, the Honourable Tan Sri Syed Hamid Albar.
SEARCCT serves as a leading centre in the Southeast Asia region to train and enhance the capacity of enforcement, security and government officials on counter-terrorism issues in collaboration with established think-tank institutions and international organisations. The Centre also serves to promote Malaysia's perspective on how best to deal with terrorism in particular its comprehensive approach to counter-terrorism.
SEARCCT has also utilised various training courses, seminars, workshops, conferences, and forums to discuss and disseminate the urgency to have a multi-pronged and multi-faceted approach in countering terrorism. In implementing its mission, SEARCCT has identified seven flagships to work on. These flagships are:-
Legal and Investigation,
CBRNE and Crisis Management,
Aviation, Maritime and Transport Security,
Prevention and Rehabilitation,
Terrorism Financing and
Youth and Terrorism.
To be a regional centre of excellence in training and research on counter-terrorism
- To develop comprehensive training programmes on counter-terrorism related issues.
- To conduct and produce quality research materials on relevant terrorism and counter-terrorism matters for publication and distribution.
- To promote information and knowledge sharing through its Web-Portal, database and resourse centre.
- To deliver an effective administration for the success of its activities.
Focus of Activities
- Efforts in capacity building through programmes organised for its participants to upgrade their knowledge and skills in counter-terrorism measures as well as establishing network for further cooperation.
- Creating public awareness by addressing NGOs, the private sector and the public on counter-terrorism issues.
- To improve the Centre’s Web Portal and Database by providing up-to-date information on current issues for publication and information gathering purposes on terrorism, terrorist organisations, counter-terrorism measures etc.
The Center aims to achieve its vision based on the following Mission Statement:
To develop a capable and vigilant counter-terrorism center in Southeast Asia through quality and comprehensive capacity building programmes;
- To become a center for reference on terrorism and counter-terrorism in cooperation with local and international agencies through research efforts;
To foster mutual cooperation, understanding and networking among regional and international organisations in the field of counter-terrorism; and
- To promote public awareness and disseminate information on the threat of terrorism and measures taken to counter it.