The Southeast Asia Regional Centre for Counter-Terrorism (SEARCCT), under the purview of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Malaysia, was officially launched on 1 July 2003.
Towards a robust community in countering terrorism and violent extremism.
The Centre aims to achieve its vision based on the following Mission Statement:
- Enhance regional competence in countering terrorism through quality and comprehensive capacity-building programmes;
- Conduct and publish research in significant areas of terrorism and counter-terrorism;
- Implement effective soft approach initiatives in countering extremism via strategic communications;
- Promote public awareness and disseminate information on the threats of terrorism and measures taken to counter them; and
- Establish and strengthen strategic partnerships at the local and international level.
- Develop and organise comprehensive capacity building and public awareness programmes on counter-terrorism;
- Produce and publish quality research materials on significant areas of terrorism and counter-terrorism; and
- Enhance soft power initiatives towards countering terrorism and extremism.
- Creating and implementing effective modules and programmes to develop participants’ knowledge and technical know-how on counter-terrorism efforts;
- Providing effective platforms for the consultation of experts, knowledge-sharing and collaborative research; and
- Promoting the empowerment of stakeholders to be the medium for CVE through strategic communications.