SEARCCT in collaboration with the Prisons Department of Malaysia conducted a seminar entitled “Management and Rehabilitation of Terrorism Offenders” from 15 to 18 April 2013 in Langkawi, Kedah.
Thirty local participants from Prisons Department, Royal Malaysian Police (RMP) and other agencies related to the rehabilitation of terrorism offenders participated in the programme.
The four-day seminar featured speakers from SEARCCT, Counter-Terrorism Task Force RMP, Special Branch RMP, Institutes of Islamic Understanding Malaysia (IKIM), Centre of Advanced Studies on Islam, Science and Civilisation (CASIS-UTM) and from Prison Department. The following topics were discussed.
• Past, Current and Future Trend of Terrorism.
• Rights of Detainees and Human Rights Issues.
• Jihad and Terrorism from the Islamic Perspective.
• Rehabilitation of Terrorist from the Perspective of the Royal Malaysian Police.
• Rehabilitation of Terrorist from Religious Perspective.
• Overview of the Malaysian Prison Rehabilitation System.
• Prisons Department's Experience on the Rehabilitation of Terrorist.
• Practical Approach on the Counselling of Terrorist.
This is the second similar programme organised by SEARCCT in collaboration with the Prisons Department. The first in May 2012 was also held in Langkawi, Kedah in which 26 foreign and local officials participated in the programme.